Final Project – Week 13

Berlin Study Trip

Taking part in the MA Graphic Design study trip to Berlin provided a fresh dose of inspiration for my final major project.

Patrick Thomas introduced us to the Open Collab workshop and explained how it works before letting me and my fellow students loose on it. We collected imagery around Berlin and then stripped it back to simplify type and images to their bare essence, distilling them down into simple, flat monochromatic images and then chose a layout using a grid framework template, before uploading them to the platform. The next stage was letting the algorithm generate collaborative posters with the work of two different people, almost like two separations of a screen print, layering them together to create a new design.

Below are some examples of the outputs generated.

  • Bird and Buchstaben

I found that participating in the Open Collab workshop was an interesting and playful way of working in collaboration with other designers, and enjoyed the new experience of how generative design and the element of chance can create some really interesting results. Creating “randomatically” generated design outputs made for alternately hilarious, poignant and thought-provoking juxtapositions.


Buchstabenmuseum: An archive of display lettering

Berlin’s Buchstabenmuseum was really inspiring too – it’s a haven for typography fans and has some great examples of vintage neon signs, as well as other types of large-scale display lettering. I like the idea of an archive that you can explore in such a literal way, by wandering through the collection of physical signage.

It was also striking how familiar some of the iconic signs were (particularly as someone who has spent time living in Berlin and the south of Germany), and just how much larger the letters were up close, versus when you see them on the side of a building – this provided an interesting sense of playfulness due to the scale, as they seem relatively giant next to a human.


Critical Report

I decided to print out the draft version of my critical report so that I could review it and make annotations where I think that I will want/need to make amendments. I also did this for my literature review.


Visual Development

I started to develop another poster concept based on my sketch of the Studio 24 music venue, using the style of the previous poster as a basis.


Peer Session 04/06/22

A small group of us arranged a peer session to review progress on our respective projects and written work.

One suggestion that came up in conversation was that I could try AR as a way to create some interactivity with otherwise static images. As a result, I have started to look at Artivive as a possible option for adding another dimension to my printed posters, whereby people could scan them with the Artivive app and this would unlock an augmented “layer” which is essentially a video/animation.

This could potentially be a way to bring an added element of interactivity, and my thinking is that even taking just one visual component of the design and simply animating it could bring the whole thing to life. It would mean an additional aspect of designing and creating the relevant animations, but one I am now considering as an option.

I have not used AR technology in my own design process before, but it’s something intend to continue to explore. It seems like an interesting avenue to think about utilising, as the possibilities it offers are continually expanding, as the AR engines and their capabilities are continuously being developed.

Notes from peer led session.

References

ARTIVIVE. 2022. Available at https://artivive.com/ [accessed 05/06/2022]

BUCHSTABENMUSEUM. 2022. Available at https://www.buchstabenmuseum.de/en/ [accessed 01/06/2022]

OPEN COLLAB. Available at https://open-collab.org/ [accessed 23/05/2022